Sunday 3 March 2013

Update: Training Ride 4 and General Preparations


This was the weekend for training ride numero 4. Chepstow to Swansea via Newport, Cardiff and Bridgend. It was more of a route-finding mission rather than purely physical preparation as the second day of the CCSCC will follow the same route. The benefit of riding this section of the route in advance became obvious as soon as I reached Newport; having winded through the various cycle paths and side streets after departing the A48 I came to what was supposed to be the stretch where the road ahead opened up and I could crunch those miles. Surprise, surprise, a “Road Closed” sign met me at this juncture – Brilliant!

I then veered north again to rejoin the A48 and continue en route to Cardiff (thank god for the google maps app). Getting through Cardiff was relatively straightforward until I missed a right turn and ended up at Cardiff City FC’s stadium...being an Arsenal fan I hastily turned around and made way in the right direction towards Cowbridge/Bridgend. This was by far the best part of the route with rolling hills, blue sky and sunshine (and inevitably sun burn for a ginger such as myself).

From Bridgend I headed to Swansea via Neath, and after a few more wrong turns but lessons learned I ended up at Tredz Bike Shop – my destination - to purchase + fit a new LH gear shifter (the current shifter packed up last week on training ride 3 and the service team at Giant, Bristol advised replacing it). Due to a 0930 photo-shoot with South Wales Argus and the time it took to purchase + fit the shifter by the time I left Tredz the daylight was failing and Swansea itself was gridlocked after the Swans beat the Magpies at the Liberty Stadium. At this point I called a halt to the ride having done near enough 80 miles – not quite as far as I had wanted, but on the actual ride there won’t be bike shops and photo-shoots to delay the start/end points.

In other news, I would like to personally thank Portia, Ash and my big sister Annelie for their sponsorship contributions at www.virginmoneygiving.com/CCSCC - I now have enough to take a nice holiday in Majorca, so see you in a fortnight! (Joking)
Stena Line have also supported the cause by giving me 87.5% off the standard tariff for my ferry crossings (Fishguard-Rosslare + Belfast-Cairnryan) and CloverLawn B&B in Rosslare have provided a 20% reduction for my overnight stay with them – Excellent news!

In so far as the kit preparations are going, I have been stocking up on a number of ‘bits and bobs’ including an aero-saddlebag, spare inners, overshoes (essential), electrolyte pouches, a new bike computer, thermal socks and high-wicking tops in addition to the bike service, new brake/gear cables, shifters, chain and rear cassette – so it has been an expensive week.

This is the last bit I promise. As some of you may have noticed, I now have a slideshow operating at the top left-hand corner of this blog for those of you interested. I’ll try to keep it updated as much as possible without making it a slideshow of portraits.

Thanks for reading and for those that haven’t already...get involved at www.virginmoneygiving.com/CCSCC.

No comments:

Post a Comment