Sunday 24 March 2013

Day 2 & 3: Hills, pills, rain and knee pain


Hello again! I’m writing to youfrom Fishguard after 240 mi cycling over the last three days – a new PB. Sincemy last blog I have cycled an additional 150 mi in pretty demoralisingconditions. Having reached Cardiff in the dry on Leg 2 with an average speed of17.1 mph all seemed well and good, then the heavens opened and remained openfor the 50 mi to my overnight stop in Bishopston, Swansea with some blusteryconditions to boot. I made it to my destination at 1500 having set off at 0900with a 14.5 mph average and approx 5 hrs cycle time. I must confess that itwasn’t until I was holed up in a bus shelter out of the rain whilst downingsome malt loaf and energy drink that I realised I hadn’t stopped in the Welshcapital to photograph a sign or some other evidence to prove I’d passed throughit. by which point I was already 8 mi out towards Cowbridge and didn’t fancy anadditional 16 mi just for a photograph – so I hope you can forgive me for that.

By the time I reached Swansea itlooked as though I might have swam there rather than cycled as I was drippingwet literally from head to toe with no exceptions. So much for the overshoesbeing waterproof! Fortunately, I was greeted by a friendly face in Andy J who Ihaven’t seen for what we guesstimated as six years in the days when we used totour the country on the sailing circuit, with the simple phrase “do you want ahot drink or a hot shower” my day instantly improved! We had a good catch upand chin wag over dinner and then a beer in the local to pass the evening. My motivationto continue was restored.

Leg 3 proved a different kettleof fish with dry conditions but the ride taking its toll physically – on myleft knee in particular. Within fifteen minutes of setting off I had to stop totake ibuprofen painkillers having coated the same knee with Ibuleve and DeepHeat the night before. The constant peddling motion was excruciating and onlyincreased with gradient increases. It was a day of hills and pills with thelatter enabling me to continue over the former. On the plus side, the severityof my knee pain has caused me to overlook any saddle sores or muscular aches –these all seem rather trivial in comparison. I did make it to Fishguard(obviously) averaging 13.5 mph and 5 hrs 9 mins cycle time. The other challengeof Leg 3 were the hill-climbs, between Swansea and Carmarthen there are aneedless amount of them which is all very well going down them for a couple ofminutes of fun but then there’s a 15-20 min ascent at similar 15%-18% gradients– tiring stuff for sure!

I must leave you, I have to packup again before catching the ferry to Ireland – with the dodgy knee andforecasted bad weather I’ll keep you in the loop with my plans.

For now, the constant wiff of DeepHeat shall continue, let’s hope it improves soon. 

pictures to follow


No comments:

Post a Comment