Tuesday 26 March 2013

Day 6: A bridge too far too soon...



Sorry everyone, I've had to call time on the ride.

Having made it to Dublin last night, I went about applying the various aches/pains lotions and taking my daily nurofen dosage only to wake up this morning to find that my leg had completely seized up.

The annoying thing is that there's still petrol left in the tank but my sodding knees are fcuked! As I average anything between 70-90rpm that equates to approx 4500 - 5500 rotations per hour so probably approx 30,000+ per day of riding it therefore doesn't seem sensible to continue and risk permanent damage (I've already booked in to see the doc next Tuesday).

The decision was made this morning and I have made my way up to Belfast on the train en route back to uk mainland - the only small consolation being that having seen parts of my planned route it would have been completely impassable (especially nr Dundalk and the Mournes) due to blizzard conditions and a complete white-out.

I wish to apologise to all of my sponsors who have supported me on this Capital Cities Solo Cycle Challenge but your support and my knee trouble hasn't been in vain as together we have raised over £1000 (exact figure tbc) in aid of an excellent charity: Severn Area Rescue Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment